Summer is heeeeeeeeeere! And summer calls for grilling right? So here is my favourite burger recipe – it is made with sweet potato and chickpeas so it is as nutritious as it is delicious. It is vegan and gluten free too – hurrah.
You can either cook it in the oven, stove top or right on the grill AND it freezes really well so you can make a bunch ahead and just keep in the freezer. Winner winner.
The BEST Sweet Potato and Chickpea Burgers
1 can of drained and rinsed chickpeas/garbanzo
1 medium sweet potato (cooked in microwave for 10 mins then removed from skin)
1/2 cup oats
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp mild curry powder
5 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 jalapenos minus seeds (maybe just one if you don’t like it too hot)
burger buns and whatever toppings you like
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor. If it doesn’t all fit in, do it in batches and mix together in a separate bowl). You wanna mush it all up until it’s pretty smooth and wet enough to hold together, but not too wet that its sticky. If that happens add a tbsp of oats at a time til it’s perfect.
- Shape into burger shaped patties. I’m really hoping you know what I’m talking about. You’ll get between 6 and 8 depending on how big your patties are.
- Lay wax paper on a baking sheet and put your burgers on there. From here you can either cook them straight up. Oven at 400F for about 30 mins – flipping half way or stove/grill top for about 7 mins each side ( depending how hot you’ve got it).
- If you don’t wanna eat them all now you can freeze them for about an hour. Longer is okay too. This firms them up and makes handling easier.
- Once they’re frozen wrap each patty separately in wax paper and pop them all in a ziplock and back in the freezer til you’re ready to eat them.
- You can cook from frozen whenever you fancy, but just remember they’ll take longer to cook all the way in the middle. If you cook them on a grill I recommend oiling the grill up real good and also cooking straight from frozen so they hold their shape.
- Add whatever toppings you like, I had veganaise, lettuce, tomato and some sriracha because sriracha is da bomb.I bet avocado is great with this slightly spicy burger too.