We have been lucky with the winter in Minneapolis this year (or so I’ve been told), but having spent last winter in Georgia I’m not so sure! I’ve been craving warming, comforting dinners and that was the inspiration behind this lentil bolognaise and let me tell you – it ticks all the boxes! Serve with spaghetti or zoodles and a sprinkle of cheese/vegan cheese if you like too – enjoy!
Vegan Lentil Bolognaise
1 medium onion
4 sticks of celery
4 medium carrots
6 cloves of garlic
6oz can of tomato paste
15oz can of tomato sauce
28oz can of diced tomatoes
1/3 cup of chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp of dried oregano
salt and pepper
2 cups of dried red lentils
3 cups of veggie stock (or water)
- Cook chopped onion, celery and carrots over a medium heat until they are softening. Then add the garlic. And cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for one more minute before adding the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, herbs and salt and pepper.
- Clean the lentils in fresh water and pick out any discoloured or unappetising looking ones. Then add them to the pan along with 2 cups of the stock.
- Stir frequently and add the final cup of stock if it dries out.
- Cook until the lentils are soft (around 30-35 minutes) and then you’re ready to go.
- This freezes really well for several months 🙂