One of the things I have missed the most since quitting meat is BACON. I hate the fact that it’s a cute little pig, but the crispy, salty yumminess of bacon is undeniably delicious. So with that in mind, I’ve been doing some experimenting (with some inspiration from Cookie and Kate) and I think I’ve come up with the perfect recipe for creating crispy, salty bacon bits. Perfect for using on salads, or on your omelette, in your loaded potato skins, wherever you usually use bacon bits!
Crispy Coconut Bacon
2 cups of unsweetened coconut flakes (this is not the same as shredded coconut!)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1.5 tablespoons of sriracha hot sauce
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon of liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Set the oven to 375F. While that is heating, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly until all of the coconut flakes are covered.
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper and plonk the mixture on top. Spread the flakes out evenly as much as possible.
- Put the tray in for 7 mins and then pull it out and flip the bacon bits over and spread out again.
- Put in for another 7-8 mins (keep an eye on it!)
- Once it’s browning pull it out and allow the bits to sit on the tray to crisp up as they cool.
These are best enjoyed immediately, but you can easily keep them in a ziplock in the freezer for several months. They’re so small they don’t really need defrosting, just leave them out for a little bit before using.