This is a dish I have been making for my husband ever since he became a vegetarian a few years back. I have added bits and bobs along the way, but it’s still healthy, simple to make and full of veggies. If you want to serve it in tortillas – go for it.If you want to add zucchini or yellow squash – go for it. You do you.
Tasty Tofu Fajita Bowl
a little olive oil (you can easily use oil spray, but the oil helps crisp up the tofu more)
12oz pack of extra firm tofu
one large bell pepper – I used half a yellow and half a red
8oz pack of button mushrooms
one small onion
fajita spice packet (I used old el paso)
a whole bunch of kale
fresh salsa (optional for serving)
sour cream or vegan sour cream (optional for serving)
some of my spicy guac (technically optional, but don’t miss out on that creamy goodness!)
- We’re gunna start with the tofu. Heat a little olive oil in a pan and cube the tofu while you wait for it to heat up. Add the tofu cubes and get them all covered in the oil. Add about 1/4 of the fajita seasoning packet to the cubes and make sure it’s all covered with that. After about 5 mins you should see it’s browning. Try and get colour all over – the tip is to not stir it too much, but if you’re impatient that’s okay too).
- While you’re waiting for the tofu, chop the onion and bell pepper into long strips (you know like fajita style) and slice the mushrooms too. Also take the kale leaves off the stem and chop into strips (not too big else you’ll never get it in your mouth).
- When the tofu is looking brown and crispy enough for you add the onions, bell pepper and mushrooms to the tofu and add about half of the remainder of the seasoning packet.
- In a separate pan, use a little oil or oil spray, slowly saute the kale. Add the other half of the seasoning to that and stir it all.
- If you’re making the guac (you really should) go ahead and make that now.
- After about 10 minutes or so the tofu veggie mix and the kale should be all cooked, so go ahead and serve up. You are so welcome.