This recipe is totally perfect for brunch- especially if you’re having people round and want to make it easy for yourself, while also looking like a badass. Gluten free if you use GF bread or skip the bread.
Perfect for Brunch - Baked Eggs
2 bell peppers (any colour)
1 red onion
3 roma tomatoes
two cups spinach
8oz sliced mushrooms
6 cloves of garlic
2 jalapenos (be careful with the seeds if you aren’t a fan of spicy)
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley
salt and pepper
1 cup light ricotta cheese
1 and half cups of light cheddar
toast for serving (optional)
- Spray the oil in a large pan and heat it up. Add bell peppers and the onion to soften. This should take about 8-10 mins.
- Next add the tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, basil, parsley and salt and pepper. Cook all that goodness until all the veggies are soft and there’s not a whole lot of liquid left in the pan. About 25 mins. Add the spinach right at the last moment.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Put the veggie mix in a lasagna size glass dish. Make 6 little holes evenly spaced in the veggie mix. Dollop some ricotta in each hole and then crack the eggs on top.
- Sprinkle the cheese all around the eggs (it’s okay if a bit goes on the eggs though!)
- Pop the dish in the oven for about 18-20 minutes (check on it from about 15 mins). You’re looking for the cheese to be melted, the whites of the eggs set with the yolks still runny.
- Let cool for a few minutes when it’s out of the oven as this helps the mixture to stay together better when you dish it out.
- Serve on hot buttered toast if you like or a healthy side dish of your choice!
All done! Prepare for the compliments!